Friendships are fun but sometimes you might find yourself bound with a friend or sometimes even a group of people who you are not interested in hanging you with. This can be quite an annoying situation for you. The reason why is because you are dreading spending time with them, but you also don’t want to flat out say no to them as it might sound rude and mean.
This situation is not just limited to friends but you might find yourself in such a tricky and sticky situation with dates as well. A lot of times we’ve gone out on dates with people and then realized it wasn’t a great experience. Now, the other person might be expecting something. Flatly saying no to them sounds a little risque but you also wouldn’t want to string someone along who you are not interested in at all. This is why we have curated this article for you.
Read on ahead to get some clear ideas on how to tell a guy you don’t want to hang out anymore and for friends, you can read through some of the good excuses to not hanging out with someone.
Table of Contents
How To Tell A Guy You Don’t Want To Hang Out Anymore?
We all know how horrible it feels to come back from blind dates or even planned ones and just do not vibe with the person at al. In such cases, as horrible as our luck is, we will see that the other person would surely be interested in scheduling another date. You might ward them off for that moment with a quick, awkward hug but if they have your contact details then you might be getting bugged for a long time till they get the hint. Read on to learn good excuses to not hang out with someone.
The process can be carried out in a bunch of ways, if you are not interested in meeting them again then you can choose to do it over call or text. If you don’t mind clearing the air by meeting them again then you can choose to do it in person. Either way, you will have to put it out there in one way or another.
The politest way to proceed with telling a guy that you don’t want to hang out anymore is by thanking them profusely. This gratefulness on your part will show that you are thankful for them for spending time with you. Since you will be expressing your gratitude to them for making you a part of their day and spending time and energy on you, they are bound to take it more easily.
This way you can also be sure that there won’t be any angry outbursts or other violently uncomfortable situations. You can either send them a text, call them or let them know in person.
This can give you the edge and the upper hand in the situation as you won’t be being mean or wasting anymore of their time.
2. No Match
Compatibility is a big deal in all relationships and the lack of it can turn things upside down in some time. The first date is supposed to be an introductory stage where you talk to the other person in an open environment and try to get some insight into their ideas and their beliefs. You might not be able to dig very deep on the first date but you will discover a lot. This includes how the other person thinks, and tier opinions and values on certain topics that come.
Being in sync and coordinating with each other when it comes to ideas and beliefs, enjoying each other’s presence, and wanting to spend more time with each other are some signs that you are compatible with your partner. If you go on a first date and see that you cannot be in sync with the person then they may not be a match for you.
All you have to do is politely let them know that you have either a differing opinion or you feel like they might not be a good match for you. Putting it out there like this takes the blame off from either of you. The other person can be comforted by knowing that compatibility is something that cannot be forced and is out of your control.
3. Emotional Availability
Sometimes as soon as we get out of a relationship, we have other people suggest to us to go out on dates and try to navigate the dating world again. This world of first dates and dinners might seem all cute but the truth is that jumping out of a relationship and directly into a new one can be extremely hard.
Because it’s too new, you would not have gotten the chance to acknowledge all that you are feeling. In such a state, if you go out on a date, there are a lot of chances that you won’t be a fan of it. After coming back from such dates, you can simply let the guy that you do not feel like you are emotionally available to invest in a new relationship.
This can also be a good excuse if you just want to get out of a bad first date. Emotional unavailability puts all the blame on you and takes the control of the situation out of their hands. This is one of our easiest good excuses to not hang out with someone.
4. Leftover Feelings
Sometimes we go out on first dates with people and there is nothing that speaks out to you. Then your friends tell you to breathe a little and that he might be nervous about meeting you for the first time. You give him the benefit of the doubt and plan on going out with him again but alas! Things are still boring and there is just no spark. Sometimes you might not even like him at ALL. Now, this can leave you in a sticky spot.
If you are sure that you do not want to go out with them anymore and are looking for good excuses to get out of things last minute and for good then just tell them that you have leftover feelings for your ex. This excuse works well because all of us need an awakening to help us realize a few things. You can say that this date made you realize that you still have feelings for your ex and it would be mean of you to string him along.
5. No Time
This is another trick in the book, it might be true for some of you but the great thing about this one is it can apply to everyone. Going out into the dating world as adults can be quite challenging at times. The reason for this is because it is bound to require some effort and take up a portion of your time. With everyone being busy in their personal or professional lives, the excuse that you are currently at a busy point in your life is a top contender in the list of great excuses for when you don’t want to hang out with someone.
Since all of us would want our potential partners to give some amount of attention to us, no one would be willing to go on further dates with someone who has a busy or cramped schedule, they would automatically back out as well. This is a pretty mature excuse if you are trying to figure out how to tell a guy you don’t want to hang out anymore.
Sorting this out and letting them know that you simply do not have enough time to indulge in such things, you will be avoiding a lot of drama later one and can be in the clear about where you stand.
6. Difference Of Opinions
In today’s day and age, there are a lot of things going on around in the world. Whether it is politics or the climate or even religious or other personal values and ideas, there is bound to be some difference of opinion. When you go out on a date with someone, you will spend some time together. During this time you should try to talk to them casually about things that are going to understand them and their views better.
If during such conversations you find that their opinions are a lot different than yours then you might want to take a step back and evaluate the situation. A difference of opinion is understandable and allowed when it’s about your favorite ic cream flavor or the football club you both support but it can be quite disastrous when its comes to other serious matters like religious values or personal opinions such as abortion or sex before marriage, etc. there can be times when you might bump into someone who is not at all interested in having more kids? Now, this one can be a deal-breaker.
When on a date you get to know them and see that there are some things you cannot be in sync with then you should flatly let them know your stance on the issue. If they still ask you to hang out and you don’t want to then explain it to them clearly how something might be a deal-breaker for you and move on.
7. Just Not That Into You
Lastly, this one might be a little hard to stomach but it is the truth and that is what you should lead with. The idea of love, at first sight, is true for a lot of people. It might not be true for everyone, sometimes it can take a while for feelings to develop. But your gut and your instincts will always be the best at guiding you.
If there is no spark to no excitement on your end and if the date just feels like another business meeting where you have to dress up, smile, and wait for the evening to end then you might want to consider the fact that you’re just not that into them. Instead of coming up with fancy and extravagant lies, just tell them that you will not be scheduling anymore dates because they just don’t seem like the right person for you.
Flatly telling them that you don’t feel like it would be a good match but seem rude and harsh at a point but it is a lot better to just go ahead and get done with rather than waste everyone’s time by not noticing the elephant in the room.
The Dynamics Of Not Wanting To Hang Out With Someone
The issue of not wanting to hang out with someone is not just for people out in the dating world. You might experience such similar situations with your friend too. The correct term to use here is acquaintances. When you’re friends with someone, you are on the same wavelength with each other and hence naturally you do not mind being in each other’s company or presence. But, we all have some people in our lives who we are on good terms with but don’t consider them as our friends.
There can be a ton of cases when you don’t consider someone to be your friend but still hang out with them occasionally, for example, you want to talk to them when you need help with assignments or the two of you only meet when you need a drinking buddy. A study buddy, or a person you might commute with aren’t necessarily your friends, and there might be times when you won’t feel the need to take the relationship any further. This is when there is a persistent lack of interest to invest any more time or effort in the equation.
The problem comes when the person is completely clueless to the fact that you do not want to hang out with them. If they are oblivious to you not wanting to spend any more time together, you might have to come up with some good excuses to get out of things last minute or even just any excuses for when you don’t want to hang out with someone.
Excuses For When You Don’t Want To Hang Out With Someone
Read on below to find out some nice ones we have in store for you. These can help you out whether you want to skip a hangout session last minute or if you are just not interested in going out with them anymore.
- Hey, thanks for the invite but adventure parks are just not my something I enjoy! Here, you can put in whatever place they are inviting to instead of an adventure park. It can be a bowling alley or an ice cream parlor, or even a mall. You can sneak dislike for crowded places and get out of such hangouts.
- Hey, thank you for thinking of me and inviting me but unfortunately, I won’t be able to make it. This is a very vague one. If you don’t feel like explaining your reason to not go out with them then you just put this one out there. The only issue is that some people might keep annoying you and asking you.
- “Thank you for the invite but I tend to sleep early on weekdays because of my work routine. Some other time maybe.” This one is fine because work responsibility is something that a lot of us keep it on the top of our priority list. It will not be taken lightly and one won’t even argue with you over it. This is perfect for all those people who are looking for good excuses to not hang out with someone by incorporating work in between.
- Hey, that sounds like a lot of fun. Thank you for inviting me but I won’t be able to make it as I already have other plans with my family/friends/partner. You can use this anytime you like it. Be it on weekends or weekdays. If someone hasn’t made a plan with you beforehand then you can use this from our lists of good excuses to get out of things last minute.
- “Hey, that sounds like a pretty great plan but I cannot make it because I need some time out this weekend, its been pretty hectic on my end.” Sometimes we just need some me time, maybe we have a weekend free but you don’t want to go out partying or clubbing. This is when you can politely tell this one to your friends.
- “Hello, thank you for inviting me but I’m going to sit this one out. There’s nothing wrong with the plan but I just don’t feel very mentally at peace to be going out. How about I let you know when I feel a little better?” This can be helpful if you have been declining plans with someone for a while now. This can be the last nail in the coffin and you can be sure that they won’t be bothering you for a while. The important thing is that it will be left up to you to handle any further hangouts.
- “Hey thank you for thinking of me but I’m trying to catch up on some work/studying/chores this weekend.” For those of us who have things going on in our lives, this is an easy one. just let them know that you have other responsibilities to tend to.
- “Hello, hope you’re doing fine. The whole plan sounds like great fun but I’ve been meaning to spend some time with my family/friends this week. Let’s catch up some other time.” Of course, family comes first for all of us so if someone wants to hang out and you decline by telling them you have plans with your family, they most probably won’t bug you too much to go out on the same day.
- “Hey, this sounds like a wonderful plan but I have a lot of work to do. How about we meet on ____ day?” This is a great one as you are suggesting them another day to reschedule your hangout. This way you won’t be coming off as rude and if you want to then you can simply meet them again as well.
- “Hey, I’ve been feeling a little under the weather these past few days and thought I might just get in bed and wait for it to pass. I will hit you up as soon as I feel a little better.” This is the easiest excuse that we have been using up all our lives. Whether it is for school, college, office, or hangouts, telling someone that you feel sick is the easiest way to get out of hangouts and duties.
We’ve all been in situations when we’re too tired, busy, or just don’t feel like hanging out with someone. It can be difficult to figure out how to tell someone you don’t want to hang out anymore. Sometimes flatly just saying no can come off as rude and you wouldn’t want to create useless drama just because of one day. Trying to tell them honestly why you can’t meet up with them is the easiest and safest way to avoid any further complications.
This is not going to be an easy task but it is better to clear things up once and for all. Think of all the times you will have to say no to them and that can be even more irritating. This way you can avoid any future text messages or calls to hang out.